Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Some Dudes Marry Other Dudes And My Mom's Cool With That

Original post date: October 6, 2013

Some dudes marry other dudes. Get over it.

So read the T-shirt of one witness for a same-sex male couple.  Indeed they do, in California and a growing list of other states and countries.  Some chicks marry other chicks, too.  And I help them get it done.  This week's couples included a double wedding, two pairs of women who'd been together almost 35 years and had all known each other even longer.

When I told my mother I wanted to start doing weddings to help same-sex couples get the same rights I had, she told me that I had confirmed what a good mother she was (just like Miss Janet!).  After all, if I cared so much about justice, she must have instilled that in me.  She was right.

You can imagine how devastated she was when Proposition 8 passed in 2008.  One of the main reasons for my enrollment at the Hall was gone, as was the image of the progressive nature of California.  She monitored the frustratingly slow pace of the challenges to both Prop 8 and DOMA.  She called me in jubilant voice when the Supreme Court issued its rulings overturning both, so happy about something that didn't directly affect her.  That's my mom.

Some dudes marry other dudes.  I make sure that happens.  'Cause my mama raised me right.

No comments:

Post a Comment